Although not often publicised, every minute of every day, a bank is under cyber attack. The reason why banks are under constant threat is because cyber criminals want to gain access to some of the valuable data that banks hold including customer details, sensitive information and money. And it isn’t just banks that are being targeted - two thirds of large businesses in the UK have been hit by a cyber breach or attack in the past year.
Financial cyber security
The current attack landscape for the financial industry is somewhat diverse.
We are in the middle of a fundamental change whereby attackers (usually from organised criminal gangs) are seeking to exploit financial institutions and their employees rather than from the usual targeting of their customers.
There has been a staggering rise in targeted spear phishing attacks recently along with a range of key issues that require consideration:
- Catastrophic high-profile data breaches have put the financial sector firmly under the spotlight
- Banks across the world are under constant fire from all angles and a range of threat actors
- Software flaws continue to be the key issue on the financial industry’s side
- The mind-set of the industry is changing, with a greater focus on financial cyber security, driven from the top down
Improving financial security is of high importance and NCC Group can help.
Banks should make use of intelligence sharing and intelligence-led financial cyber security tests in order to mitigate risk.
How can we help?
- Executive Management Education & advice on cyber security
- Cyber security strategy, risk advice & health checks
- ISO27001 & PCI DSS consultancy
- Supply chain security posture discovery
- Internal and external penetration testing of infrastructure, web and mobile Apps
- Red teaming & social engineering
- CBEST & sophisticated threat actor assessments
- Technology focused security assessments of innovative & emerging solutions
- Cyber incident response, including malicious code discovery & analysis